Thursday, June 30, 2011

Small projects with quick finishes

Small projects are a great way to keep your crafty interest going and to feel a sense of accomplishment in the midst of several larger projects.  My WIPs at the moment are all fairly sizeable, and some are ongoing like the Birdie BOM and the Kaleidoscope QAL, so having smaller items to finish is keeping things interesting for me.  (How's that for a mouthful of crafty acronyms!)  I have a couple of recently finished small projects to share though.

This cute little drawstring bag was made from an unidentified fat quarter and with no pattern.  I took some notes along the way, and I think I may write up a little tutorial for it, but I need more 'in progress' pictures to really do it justice.  It's a great size for many things like knitting projects, a lingerie bag for travel etc. but its current job is to hold plastic bags at the shop.  I love the green swirls on this fabric.  It makes me think of Ireland, especially the circles at Newgrange.

A mug rug is on my list of things to do, but I wasn't feeling too creative when I realized that I need some kind of coaster for my sewing table.  I made a simple 9 patch using pieces from my favorite Mezzanine line by Patty Young / Michael Miller.  I've been snatching up bits of the line at some great prices, and I'm going to be terribly sad when its all gone and I've used my stash of it.  Its just so fun and perky.   The quilting is just a somple crosshatch through the squares.  Here's the front and the back, with a beginner binding job.  I really need to work on my binding, and small projects like this coaster are a good way to keep improving skills.

I'm also kind of excited that I just learned how to combine photos in PhotoScape.  Now if I can just take better photographs to start with, I'll really be on a roll!  The lack of natural light inside my house is never so obvious as when I want to take a picture.

Any small projects in the works at your place?

No comments:

Post a Comment